Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? is an educational media featuring a villain named Carmen Sandiego. Carmen Sandiego appears in computer games, television shows, and books. The purpose of Carmen Sandiego is to educate the young audience in an array of topics such as geography, mathematics, grammar, etc.  But most importantly it was designed to keep kids interested and learning.Contributing to the idea that education does not have to be limited to textbooks, it can also be entertainment.

I came across this idea as I was reading "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. I was so hooked on the book that I did not want to put it down. "Understanding Comics" is an educational, historical account on comics in the form of a comic book. As I was learning I was entertained. I thought, what if science books, history books, english books, you name it, were written in comic book format? Would grades among college students increase? Would we actually finish reading a textbook that we purchased for class, rather than just reading the first 20 pages then setting it aside? I think so.

This is the idea of design. We design for usefulness and the benefit of society whatever that may be! In this case, the concept is education and we must think outside of the box, I mean the hexagon. And design that which will reap positive outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment