Monday, November 1, 2010

Black and Orange

I went to San Francisco on Halloween weekend for the first time. In my opinion, I feel this was the best time to go. I felt both the Halloween and Giants spirit.  The city was filled with orange and black, such a funny coincidence that those colors just so happen to represent Halloween as well as the Giants. I felt a great deal of pride coming from the people residing in the city. This gave the city an even greater appeal; they looked united because of a baseball team and their display of the Halloween spirit. What does this have to do with design you may ask? Plenty. The design of city is very important not just for its functionality, but also for its appeal. You feel something more than just visual pleasure; you feel joy from your surrroundings. In this case, the tradition was Halloween and the personal meaning was a baseball team representing the city of San Francisco. Stepping into the city this past weekend I felt the tradition and the pride. The streets and shops were filled with orange and black. Halloween decorations were everywhere. The majority of people were wearing Giants jerseys. The phrase “Go Giants” appeared in the Bart Station, cable cars, shop windows, even a statue by the Tiffany’s shop in downtown San Francisco was wearing a Giants jersey and a beard. People’s impression of a city is very much dependent on its design. At least I was when I went to San Francisco this weekend. I enjoyed the city even more because of the spirit it portrayed through design.

No comments:

Post a Comment