Monday, November 8, 2010

Word and Image on a World Map

Today, while I was working, a foreign exchange student came up to the counter and asked if we carry world maps. I directed him to the aisle in which it was located and he grabbed two. I helped him at the check counter and when I was done checking him out, I began to think about the concept of word and image related to a world map.  I am pretty sure I do not only speak for myself when I say I love looking at world maps.

 What is it about maps that intrigue us? I think it is the layout—all the countries in the world are illustrated on one page. It is interesting to see countries in relation to each other; their size, shape, and characteristics. It also incites our thoughts of the mystery occupied by each country and our desire to discover each and every one.

How does word and image work on a world map? Not only are the countries illustrated, but most of the time these maps are accompanied by words. The countries and their cities and sometimes regions are labeled. I believe this is constructed to deliver clarity. It is a holistic approach that makes it easier for our senses to recognize form and function (Gestalt Theory). For example, texture and boundaries are recognized by lines and the name of the countries is recognized by words. The combination of word and image work on a map to provide accurate and visible information. 




No comments:

Post a Comment